You know Italians make great gelato, but yogurt? And fro-yo to boot?
Well, I noticed a new yogurt shop in San Francisco’s Marina district, and even though it’s been chilly this winter, I decided to check out this place that actually boasts on the window that its yogurt is “the best tasting yogurt in the world.” That’s right. The WORLD.
Yogorino is the company that makes this claim, and this past summer a local franchisee opened the only California outposts of this Italian chain. (The chain also has a location in Philadelphia.) Along with the Chestnut Street location that I tried, there’s also a store in the Embarcadero Centers.
The offering is pretty straight forward: just one flavor. But you can spice it up with a variety of dried toppings or fresh fruits. (In the Marina store, they also had gelato for sale, showcased in an oval freezer with a spinning wheel.) The yogurt is creamy and thick, with the same texture of Greek yogurt but without the tartness.
It’s definitely heavier than the Korean-style fro-yo commonly associated with Pinkberry and Red Mango. But I enjoyed it. I did feel like I missed the slight tartness you get from the Pinkberry frozen yogurt, which I’m more inclined to go back for. Funny, the texture of the Italian yogurt was so creamy that it seemed like it would make a good face mask. Maybe the yogurt cultures are good for your complexion.
Yogorino, 2144 Chestnut St., San Francisco. PH: 415.445.9107. Open daily. (Also a location at 50 Drumm St. in the Embarcadero Centers.) www.yogorino.com
- Review of Torpedo Sushi in Oakland
- Review of Box and Bells in Oakland
- Thanksgiving or After, Try My Turkey Paella Recipe
- Fresh Oysters, Friends, and a View at Tomales Bay Oyster Co.
- Review of Dining Room at Mission Bowling Club in San Francisco
- Review of Pesce Restaurant in San Francisco
- Review of the Dueling Tasting at Michael Mina in San Francisco
- Tea, Cambrics and Cocktails Event in San Francisco
- How to Wrap and Cook Joong (with Video)
- Review of 12th Avenue Grill in Honolulu
- Review of Park Restaurant in the Aqua Lotus Hotel in Waikiki
- Dim Sum and More at Kirin Restaurant in Honolulu