You know Italians make great gelato, but yogurt? And fro-yo to boot?
Well, I noticed a new yogurt shop in San Francisco’s Marina district, and even though it’s been chilly this winter, I decided to check out this place that actually boasts on the window that its yogurt is “the best tasting yogurt in the world.” That’s right. The WORLD.
Yogorino is the company that makes this claim, and this past summer a local franchisee opened the only California outposts of this Italian chain. (The chain also has a location in Philadelphia.) Along with the Chestnut Street location that I tried, there’s also a store in the Embarcadero Centers.
The offering is pretty straight forward: just one flavor. But you can spice it up with a variety of dried toppings or fresh fruits. (In the Marina store, they also had gelato for sale, showcased in an oval freezer with a spinning wheel.) The yogurt is creamy and thick, with the same texture of Greek yogurt but without the tartness.
It’s definitely heavier than the Korean-style fro-yo commonly associated with Pinkberry and Red Mango. But I enjoyed it. I did feel like I missed the slight tartness you get from the Pinkberry frozen yogurt, which I’m more inclined to go back for. Funny, the texture of the Italian yogurt was so creamy that it seemed like it would make a good face mask. Maybe the yogurt cultures are good for your complexion.
Yogorino, 2144 Chestnut St., San Francisco. PH: 415.445.9107. Open daily. (Also a location at 50 Drumm St. in the Embarcadero Centers.) www.yogorino.com
- A Review of Japantown Newcomer Shalala Ramen in San Francisco
- Cooking Demo on Making My Spam Kale Fried Rice Recipe
- A Review of Quirky Asian Bites at Chino in San Francisco
- Review of Seattle-Style Teriyaki at Glaze Teriyaki Grill on Fillmore
- Discovering the Best Small Town for Food: San Mateo
- Getting It Fresh at Smitten Ice Cream in Rockridge
- Ben on A Review of Japantown Newcomer Shalala Ramen in San Francisco
- Carolyn Jung on A Review of Japantown Newcomer Shalala Ramen in San Francisco
- Ben on Cooking Demo on Making My Spam Kale Fried Rice Recipe
- Brenda Ton on Cooking Demo on Making My Spam Kale Fried Rice Recipe
- Jenn on Cooking Demo on Making My Spam Kale Fried Rice Recipe