I must be slacking in keeping up with the cupcake shops around the Bay Area because I found out from SF Weekly’s Top 10 Cupcake list that there are a few places still new to me. One of these yet-to-be discovered spots actually topped the list, at least according to the weekly.
Let’s Cupcake is fairly new, so it’s a big feat to be named the best in the city, beating out established cupcake bakers like Kara’s and Miette. So I went to check it out myself, catching the N Judah almost to the end of the line since Let’s Cupcake is in the Sunset District at Judah and 28th.
The place is actually more than a bakery. With its huge space and seating area, it was more like a lounge or café. The cupcake menu uses some familiar ingredients and familiar recipes like the red velvet, but there were a few unusual cupcakes to live up to the store’s boast of serving up some “un-ordinary” cupcakes. One of them included what’s known as the Panda cupcake, a cookies-and-cream tasting cupcake that has frosting shaped like a panda head on top.
I bought the Panda along with a special New Year firecracker (a spice cake with caramel frosting) and the red velvet. I enjoyed all of them, each offering different flavors but all moist and easy to eat. (Cupcakes run on the high end at $3 each.) The frosting, often butter cream or cream cheese, isn’t very sweet, which is just right for me.
I don’t know if Let’s Cupcake is the best in town, but it’s pretty close to the top. The location on the city’s edge (at least for me coming from the East Bay) does make it harder for me to frequent them often, but maybe that’s a good thing because I don’t want to end up looking like a Panda cupcake.
Let’s Cupcake, 2255 Judah St., San Francisco. PH: 415.702.9649. Open daily. Check out its Facebook page.
- Review of Torpedo Sushi in Oakland
- Review of Box and Bells in Oakland
- Thanksgiving or After, Try My Turkey Paella Recipe
- Fresh Oysters, Friends, and a View at Tomales Bay Oyster Co.
- Review of Dining Room at Mission Bowling Club in San Francisco
- Review of Pesce Restaurant in San Francisco
- Review of the Dueling Tasting at Michael Mina in San Francisco
- Tea, Cambrics and Cocktails Event in San Francisco
- How to Wrap and Cook Joong (with Video)
- Review of 12th Avenue Grill in Honolulu
- Review of Park Restaurant in the Aqua Lotus Hotel in Waikiki
- Dim Sum and More at Kirin Restaurant in Honolulu