There once was a young cook named Ben, who served the young prince James in Cupcakeland. The cook made the young prince his favorite dish of apple pie every day, morning, noon and night.
Then one day the young prince grew tired of apple pie. The cook tried his best to entice Prince James. He made apple strudel. Not a bite. Apple turnovers. The prince turned his nose. Ben even tried an apple poptart, but nothing.
Frustrated, the cook went wandering along San Pablo Avenue and discovered a cupcake store. Inside were colorful little cakes in brilliant colors of yellow, red and golden caramel. Ben tried a few of the mini cupcakes, like the fresh lemon flavor or the cinnamon bun.
The cook, excited about his find, took back to Cupcakeland the store’s most popular cupcake, the salted caramel – a chocolate cupcake with vanilla buttercream frosting that’s drizzled with a swirl of homemade caramel and sprinkled with salt to finish.
The prince took one bite and delighted at the creamy frosting with salted caramel flavor, but really enjoyed the light cake itself, which was still moist and airy. James loved the cupcake so much he decreed that everyone in Cupcakeland should enjoy the cupcakes forever.
*This story is, of course, totally made up. I really don’t know the true beginnings of the name of this cupcake store, James & The Giant Cupcake. But it’s definitely a story with a happy ending.
James & The Giant Cupcake, 6326 San Pablo Ave., Oakland. Open Wed.–Sat., 10:30 a.m.–6:30 p.m.; Sunday, 10:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m. jamesandthegiantcupcake.com
5 comments on “Once Upon a Time in Cupcakeland*”
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- How to Build a Pizza at Berkeley’s New Pizzeria
- Jupiter Olympus’ “Choke” Dinner Celebrates the Artichoke
- Review of Tribune Tavern in Oakland
- Richard Blais’ Squid Linguine “Impasta” Recipe
- Dining at Vik’s Chaat & Market in Berkeley
- San Mateo Crawl Ends at Dessert Republic
- Review of San Mateo’s Ramen Parlor + Izakaya Mai
- A Zuni Cafe Classic: The Roasted Chicken
- Tasting Christopher Kostow’s Restaurant at Meadowood in St. Helena
- Cooking a Filipino Classic: My Chicken Adobo Recipe
- Review of Red Medicine Restaurant in LA
- Going the Distance for XLBs at Din Tai Fung in Arcadia