Dojo Dog has got to be the smartest food truck in town. I mean, it is parked right outside the University of California, Berkeley, campus.
And it’s not just the smart location serving up gourmet hot dogs to hungry college students notorious for their munchies, but they play up an Asian martial arts theme outside a university known for its high percentage of Asian-American students.
For a food truck, Dojo Dog is pretty stationary, parked in the same spot on Bancroft Way right outside the student union. Student owned, the truck sells four specialty hot dogs: the Ninjitsu, Wushu, Kendo, and the Shaolin Monk. They sell for $4.60 (plus tax) and you can add the popular drink Tranquil Tea (a delicious mango-green tea-mint concoction) for just an additional quarter.
I tried the Ninjitsu, which is a hot dog topped with cabbage and drizzled with Dojo’s signature teriyaki sauce and Japanese mayo and finished with a sprinkling of shredded nori (dried seaweed).
The dog looked amazing, but I was actually surprised that the sauce didn’t have much flavor, although it helped keep the dog moist. It really was the nori that made it special. Although the hot dog is extra long, it really is just a regular hot dog, not any kind of special sausage.
Still, it’s the kind of dressed up hot dog that can hit the spot, whether it’s a sunny Sunday afternoon in Berkeley or it’s a quick, easy dinner before hitting the books.
Dojo Dog, Bancroft Way at Telegraph, Berkeley. Monday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. www.facebook.com/DojoDog
7 comments on “A Food Truck Feeding the College Munchies”
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Review of Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch in Napa Valley
- How to Build a Pizza at Berkeley’s New Pizzeria
- Jupiter Olympus’ “Choke” Dinner Celebrates the Artichoke
- Review of Tribune Tavern in Oakland
- Richard Blais’ Squid Linguine “Impasta” Recipe
- Dining at Vik’s Chaat & Market in Berkeley
- San Mateo Crawl Ends at Dessert Republic
- Review of San Mateo’s Ramen Parlor + Izakaya Mai
- A Zuni Cafe Classic: The Roasted Chicken
- Tasting Christopher Kostow’s Restaurant at Meadowood in St. Helena
- Cooking a Filipino Classic: My Chicken Adobo Recipe
- Review of Red Medicine Restaurant in LA