Brunch is a major sport in Portland, with several venues offering up breakfast dishes to hungry crowds throughout the weekend. One of the more popular spots, Tasty n Sons, serves up brunch to a thankful crowd every day of the week.
The two-year-old restaurant from Chef John Gorham is so popular that it’s planning to open a second location in downtown Portland early next year. I got to check out the neighborhood spot in Northeast Portland last week with my sister and her family.
The handsome restaurant drew a steady crowd, and we sat at a large communal table up front near the bar. Tasty n Sons offers up a lengthy brunch menu that isn’t your typical omelet fare, but instead providing several savory dishes that might hint at breakfast by adding an egg.
Our server told us that brunch at Tasty is a shared experience, with the menu divided between small and large plates. While the portions didn’t seem large enough to share IMHO, they were definitely tasty enough that everyone at the table wants a bite of.
A flavor winner is the frittata ($9), served up in a cast iron skillet and made with seasonal ingredients. During my visit, it came with colorful butternut squash and Brussels sprouts and leeks. The fluffy yellow egg was perked up with a heaping helping of feta cheese.
Even simple dishes were delightfully presented, like a chilled radicchio salad ($8) that was so fresh the radicchio leaves were at full attention, dressed in a light but creamy parmesan reggiano vinaigrette. And a plate of sautéed spinach ($5) said breakfast with a sunny side egg on top.
Not every dish was a success although I give Tasty n Sons credit for stretching one’s mind over what’s a typical brunch dish. For example, it serves up a Shakshuka ($10), which is a Tunisian-style dish that’s like a tomato stew (we added merguez sausage for an extra $2). The spices seemed too earthy for me, and that might be just a matter of preferences.
Overall, though, Tasty n Sons was an eye-opening feast to start the day, stretching brunch beyond pancakes and omelets.
Rating: 3 out of 4 camera snaps
Tasty n Sons, 3808 N. Williams, Suite C., Portland, Ore. PH: 503.621.1400. Reservations, major credit cards accepted. Open daily 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. (till 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday). www.tastynsons.com
- Cooling Off with Shaved Snow at Ice Monster Walnut Creek
- A Review of Japantown Newcomer Shalala Ramen in San Francisco
- Cooking Demo on Making My Spam Kale Fried Rice Recipe
- A Review of Quirky Asian Bites at Chino in San Francisco
- Review of Seattle-Style Teriyaki at Glaze Teriyaki Grill on Fillmore
- Discovering the Best Small Town for Food: San Mateo
- Ben on A Review of Japantown Newcomer Shalala Ramen in San Francisco
- Carolyn Jung on A Review of Japantown Newcomer Shalala Ramen in San Francisco
- Ben on Cooking Demo on Making My Spam Kale Fried Rice Recipe
- Brenda Ton on Cooking Demo on Making My Spam Kale Fried Rice Recipe
- Jenn on Cooking Demo on Making My Spam Kale Fried Rice Recipe