A few years back I read about a store in Manhattan that sold only rice pudding and I wondered how anyone could just eat rice pudding day in and day out? Well, that’s the same feeling I got when I noticed the new Schulzies in San Francisco’s Hayes Valley, which sells only bread pudding.
Scooped up into balls like ice cream, these light bread pudding in various flavors – things like Millie Vanillie Bean, Blissed Out Blueberry, Coconut Cove and simply Whisky – are the creation of Sarah Schulz, who opened her first bread pudding parlor in Venice in Southern California.
But apparently Schulz is originally from San Francisco so she decided to open her second location in her hometown, in a tiny spot in the trendy Hayes Valley that used to be a mini café. It actually took awhile for the place to open, but it finally did in late January.
People walking by the store often do a double-take when they see the words “bread pudding” on the signs. Those who venture in to try one will pay $4.50 for a single scoop and $6.50 for double scoop.
After brunch with my friend Craig, we tried some bread pudding for dessert. Craig was smart and got a scoop of the Whisky flavor. I think it’s smart with a typically heavy dessert like bread pudding to spice it up with liquor. He enjoyed it.
I got a scoop of salted caramel and another scoop of lemon. There are toppings that you can add for no additional charge, but I played it safe and simply added a squirt of caramel sauce.
While the overall feel of the bread pudding was light, it did have a texture that reminded me of overcooked oatmeal. It’s not very sweet, and while the lemon flavor was nice, I barely tasted salted caramel in the other scoop. In fact, they were very similar.
While it was a warm day, the bread pudding was lukewarm, and not very cold, so when competing with ice cream, I think I would get a scoop of ice cream instead. Still, the novelty of it all continues to draw people to Schulzies. It might not be for me, but if you’re a fan of bread pudding, then you’ll find your heaven in Schulzies.
Schulzies, 364 Hayes St. (between Gough and Franklin), San Francisco. PH: 415.565.7336. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. www.schulziesbreadpudding.com
- Review of Dim Sum at Koi Palace in Daly City
- Review of Redd Wood in Napa Valley
- Blue Bottle Brightens an Oakland Neighborhood
- Exploring the New Tasting Room at Hall Wines in Napa Valley
- Trying Out Chef Bradley Ogden’s Butterscotch Pudding Recipe
- Quick Look at Street Food Dojo in San Francisco
- Review of Homestead in Oakland
- Mission Cool at Four Barrel Coffee House in San Francisco
- Review of Tosca Café in San Francisco
- Warm Up with My Beef Cheek Chili Recipe
- Review of Dim Sum at China Village Seafood Restaurant in Belmont
- Review of Kaka Udon Kitchen in San Francisco