I can be pretty “bah humbug” around the holidays, but I can’t escape all the delicious-looking baking that happens around this time. So earlier this week when I needed to make something for our office holiday party, I decided to try a recipe I saved from last year.
This chocolate crinkles recipe is actually pretty easy to make. You can get the complete recipe here. These little Christmas balls look like they’re covered by snow (it’s powdered sugar) and taste like eating mini chocolate cakes. It’s super easy to make, basically creating the chocolate cake dough and then rolling them into balls and covering in powdered sugar.
I added a Christmas twist to them by sprinkling them with crushed peppermint candy canes. (I just put a few candy canes in a plastic bag and smashed them into pieces with a hammer.) Initially I sprinkled the peppermint after I baked the crinkles, but they wouldn’t stay on. So it works best when you sprinkle them on top before baking. They do melt, but that just makes them blend in better. Then you get that nice cooling kick when you bite into these chocolate crinkles.
I also like the crinkling look that occurs when the crinkles bake, breaking through the sugar coating. The recipe actually isn’t very sweet because I used bittersweet unsweetened cocoa powder. They’re pretty dramatic if you bring these to parties and people will think you’re a master baker!
Enjoy! And happy holidays!
- Review of Cumulus Inc. and Cumulus Up in Melbourne
- Visiting Swan Valley Wine Region with d’Vine Tours in Western Australia
- Review of Print Hall in Perth, Australia
- Review of Shancheng Hotpot King in Sydney
- Local Sydney Favorite: Black Star Pastry in Newtown
- Review of Ester Restaurant in Australia
- A Review of Ramen Yamadaya in San Francisco
- What’s New at the 2014 International Chocolate Salon in San Francisco
- A Review of L’Ardoise French Restaurant in San Francisco
- A Review of Nido Kitchen & Bar in Oakland
- A Review of Eureka Restaurant in Berkeley
- Review of Dim Sum at Koi Palace in Daly City
- Carolyn Jung on Review of Print Hall in Perth, Australia
- Carolyn Jung on Review of Cumulus Inc. and Cumulus Up in Melbourne
- Ben on Review of Cumulus Inc. and Cumulus Up in Melbourne
- Tara on Review of Cumulus Inc. and Cumulus Up in Melbourne
- Ben on Stepping Back in Time with Canter’s Deli on Fairfax in LA