POINT REYES STATION, Calif.
When I was at Point Reyes Station last Saturday, I stopped by Toby’s Feed Barn at the heart of town to check out the Cielo Gelato kiosk.
Gelato is perfect for the summer weather, especially up north, but this gelato has a special ingredient — water buffalo milk.
That’s right, the buffalo milk comes from Double 8 Dairy in Petaluma. The dairy makes gelato on the side and sells it to restaurants such as French Laundry, Oliveto and SPQR. Water buffalo milk is richer so that means the gelato is creamier.
Dairy owner Andrew Ziot partnered with Christian Caiazzo of Stellina restaurant in Point Reyes Station to create the pop up Cielo Gelato scooping up gelato flavors such as raspberry, coffee, hazelnut and fior di latte, which is a pure milk flavor.
I tried both the coffee and the hazelnut and thought the coffee flavor could be stronger but the hazelnut was nutty and complex. The actual gelato was creamier with a silky texture, and the milk flavor seemed fresher.
Point Reyes Station has a lot of unique food items for a little town, such as Cowgirl Creamery cheese. Now you can add water buffalo gelato.
Cielo Gelato kiosk, in front of Toby’s Feed Barn, 11250 California 1, Point Reyes Station. Open 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursdays to Sundays during the summer.
Here’s an interesting video from Double 8 Dairy to learn more about water buffalo milk.
- A Review of Street Tacos and More at Belly in Oakland
- Getting Uni Love in this Review of Urchin Bistrot in San Francisco
- A Review of the Tipsy Pig in San Francisco
- A Review of Barlago Italian Kitchen in Oakland
- A Review of Little Bird Bistro in Portland
- Grape Crush Tour of St. Francis Winery + Vineyards in Sonoma County
- Ben on Review of Seattle-Style Teriyaki at Glaze Teriyaki Grill on Fillmore
- Seattle Native on Review of Seattle-Style Teriyaki at Glaze Teriyaki Grill on Fillmore
- Carolyn Jung on Getting Uni Love in this Review of Urchin Bistrot in San Francisco
- Brenda Ton on Getting Uni Love in this Review of Urchin Bistrot in San Francisco
- Carolyn Jung on A Review of Barlago Italian Kitchen in Oakland