Oakland’s Jack London Square has been hoping for a revival, and it’ll probably be the many new restaurants opening in this waterfront area that will save the day.
So it’s only fitting that the area was the featured neighborhood of last night’s Dishcrawl, a food event that guides food lovers around four mystery restaurants in one night. I’ve done a Dishcrawl awhile back, and because I try a lot of new restaurants, the mystery restaurants never really surprise me (since I’ve often already dined at a few). But the night is always fun to meet other food lovers and see how much food one can get for the $40 ticket.
Jack London Square’s event, organized and hosted by the affable J.P. of Fers Bite, featured the old and the new on a beautiful summer night in Oakland. We started off at the longstanding Scott’s Seafood for some small bites of clam chowder, pulled pork sliders and salmon and mashed potatoes, and then headed off to Home of Chicken and Waffles.
HCW had a lot of Oakland charm with a diner feel, but the menu of fried chicken and mac and cheese (as most regular readers of this blog know) wasn’t really up my alley. But our next stop at the new Forge restaurant and its wood-fired pizzas filled me up. (Ironically, I dined at Forge a couple of nights ago. See my full review of Forge on Sunday.)
The evening ended up at the popular Pan-American restaurant Bocanova, where pastry chef Paul Conte dazzled the crowd with a dessert feast of chocolate creme brulee, chocolate croissant bread pudding, and ice cream sandwiches with avocado ice cream. The avocado ice cream was probably my favorite taste of the evening.
If you’d like to spend a night checking out restaurants in an East Bay neighborhood, check out the Dishcrawl’s Facebook page for upcoming events.
- Review of Forge Pizza in Oakland’s Jack London Square
- Eat Real Fest 2013 in Oakland’s Jack London Square
- A Review of Food and Cocktails at Lungomare in Oakland’s Jack London Square
- Inaugural ‘Battledish: Beta Tasting’ in San Mateo’s Bay Meadows
- Party Under the Palms: CUESA’s Summer Cocktails Event in Oakland
Subscribe to My Blog
Snaps on the Go
- Eating My Way Through Feast Portland 2017
- Return Visit for Dinner at Finn Town in San Francisco — a Review
- A Review of Sushi Omakase at Ju-Ni in San Francisco
- San Francisco Shows Up for Feast Portland
- Staying Cool with Roll Up Creamery & Cafe in San Francisco
- Sights and Tastes of Savor Oakland’s Fruitvale Food Tour