Not too many people may have heard of Firebrand Artisan Breads, the Oakland-based bakery that has been making wood-fire baked breads for the last few years. Until now.
Firebrand, which has only done wholesale business to restaurants and select stores since it started, opened its first retail bakery and cafe last weekend. It’s a large and spacious space in the new The Hive development in the Uptown neighborhood.
The bakery is a showcase for not just the wood-fire bread created by owner Matt Kreutz but a pastry program by co-owner Colleen Orlando. In fact, the pastry making is the first thing you see when you walk in.
You can learn more about the new Firebrand store in an article I wrote for Berkeleyside’s NOSH blog. Below are additional photos that didn’t make it to that post. (FYI, Firebrand will be open Thanksgiving morning but will close Friday. Then it’s open again Saturday with its regular hours of 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
The deets: Firebrand Artisan Breads, 2343 Broadway (at 24th), Oakland. PH: 510.594.9213. Open daily from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Subscribe to My Blog
Snaps on the Go
- A Bit of French Provencal in Berkeley at the New Les Arceaux Cafe and Wine Bar
- A Review of The Temple Club in Oakland
- A Review of Japanese Italian Dishes at Pesce e Riso in San Francisco
- A Review of Brunch at Villon in San Francisco
- A Review of Hinodeya Ramen Bar in San Francisco
- First Look at Copper Spoon in Oakland