One thing nice about living in Oakland these days is that it doesn’t take that long for San Francisco classics to find their way here.
Rosamunde Sausage Grill is the latest example of popular San Francisco eateries expanding into the East Bay, often in the lower-cost destination of Oakland. I often would see crowds flowing out of Rosamunde’s Haight Street location (they also have a spot in the Mission), and now I don’t have to wade through the hipster crowd for a taste.
Opened in the Swan’s Marketplace in Old Oakland, Rosamunde is popular among the office crowd. I visited a few times for lunch (it’s a bit farther than my normal eateries, but hey, better than BARTing into the city).
Rosamunde’s space is also next door to Taylor’s, and Rosamunde features a few of Taylor’s sausages along with its usual. Along with beer selection, Rosamunde offers up between 12 to 15 different sausages, typically served up in this fashion:
- Grilled sausage in a French rolls ($6 or $6.50) with two free toppings.
- Sausage plate that includes baked beans and green salad. Choice of one sausage ($9.25) or two ($12.75).
- You can also order a sausage roll and add some sides like German baked beans, German potato salad, or green salad.
Fresh But Mixed
The sausages are grilled to order, which can sometimes mean a bit of a wait, especially if you go later and a line forms from the lunch crowd. Service is always friendly in this casual eatery, and I enjoyed the wide selection of specialty condiments like honey wasabi or curry ketchup.
The sides are also made of quality ingredients, from the chunky (although mild) potato salad ($3.25) to the leafy green salad with walnuts and blue cheese ($5.75).
As for the sausages, they were all tasty with loose hearty meat inside (as opposed to dense or overly ground meat). Some sausages suffer from shrinkage (like the Taylor’s turkey sausage that seemed way smaller than the French roll it came in) and others included specialty ingredients that didn’t shine through (like the beer sausage that didn’t taste like beer or the chicken habanero that didn’t have a real spicy kick).
Still, Rosamunde provides quality, hearty sausages in a fun and casual spot.
Rosamunde Sausage Grill, 911 Washington St., Oakland (inside Swan’s Marketplace). PH: 510.338.3108. Open Sun.–Tue., 11 a.m.–10 p.m.; Wed.–Sat., 11 a.m.–11 p.m. Website
Subscribe to My Blog
Snaps on the Go
- A Review of Toy Soldier in San Francisco’s Belden Place
- Museum of Ice Cream Arrives in San Francisco — Bah Humbug
- A Review of Ramen at Ippudo in Berkeley
- Night and Day Scenes of Eat Real Festival 2017 in Oakland
- Portland Dish: Tusk, Proud Mary Cafe and Chalino
- Eating My Way Through Feast Portland 2017