Walking into the tiny and narrow Gourmet and More, I felt like all my senses were in overcharge with the colorful displays and assortment of food products. I’d heard of this little gourmet grocery stores for francophiles but it’s so small you’d miss it on a quiet stretch of Gough if you weren’t looking.
Opened by French natives Josiane and Laurent Recollon, the shop stocks so hard-to-find European foods (at a premium price) and has a cute sandwich station in the back, where customers can walk into the quaint back garden to dine. Off to the left, though, is a walk-in refrigerated cheese section that would make any cheese lover die (in a good way) from the aroma and selection.
The charm of this place is undeniable. It’s the kind of place you’d expect in Pacific Heights, but finding it in the gritty end of lower Hayes Valley makes it even more precious.
Gourmet and More, 141 Gough St., San Francisco. PH: 415.874.9133. Open Monday through Saturday, 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.; and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Facebook page.
Subscribe to My Blog
Snaps on the Go
- A Bit of French Provencal in Berkeley at the New Les Arceaux Cafe and Wine Bar
- A Review of The Temple Club in Oakland
- A Review of Japanese Italian Dishes at Pesce e Riso in San Francisco
- A Review of Brunch at Villon in San Francisco
- A Review of Hinodeya Ramen Bar in San Francisco
- First Look at Copper Spoon in Oakland