Walking into the tiny and narrow Gourmet and More, I felt like all my senses were in overcharge with the colorful displays and assortment of food products. I’d heard of this little gourmet grocery stores for francophiles but it’s so small you’d miss it on a quiet stretch of Gough if you weren’t looking.
Opened by French natives Josiane and Laurent Recollon, the shop stocks so hard-to-find European foods (at a premium price) and has a cute sandwich station in the back, where customers can walk into the quaint back garden to dine. Off to the left, though, is a walk-in refrigerated cheese section that would make any cheese lover die (in a good way) from the aroma and selection.
The charm of this place is undeniable. It’s the kind of place you’d expect in Pacific Heights, but finding it in the gritty end of lower Hayes Valley makes it even more precious.
Gourmet and More, 141 Gough St., San Francisco. PH: 415.874.9133. Open Monday through Saturday, 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.; and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Facebook page.
Subscribe to My Blog
Snaps on the Go
- Salt & Straw Takes Over San Francisco’s Pacific Heights
- Khai Restaurant Brings Nouveau Vietnamese to SOMA
- A Review of Bao Down Arriving in San Francisco
- Reflecting on Spring, Oysters and Friends Who Eat
- A Review of Nightbird in San Francisco’s Hayes Valley
- A Review of Curry Up Now Indian Street Food in Oakland