The story: Barlago opened several months ago in Oakland’s Adam’s Point neighborhood, in the space that for the longest time was the family-owned Zza’s Italian restaurant. This new reincarnation is by Philip Raskin, who has owned another longtime Oakland Italian restaurant Filippo’s in the Rockridge neighborhood.
Why I went: I was invited by the restaurant […]Read the full post →
Beer halls seem to be bubbling up in Oakland like the runaway foam that spills over your glass when you get beer on tap.
But of all the versions of beer halls, I love the idea of the beer garden, or biergarten – pubs with large outdoor seating, serving up food perfect for beer.
One […]Read the full post →
One sense that can really transport you to somewhere else, even if it’s just in your imagination, is the sense of smell. The fragrance of lavender puts you in the middle of lavender fields in Provence. The freshness of Meyer lemons take you to your grandmother’s backyard. And perhaps the scent of vanilla takes you […]Read the full post →
Subscribe to My Blog
Snaps on the Go
- Day 1 of 2017 Winter Fancy Food Show in San Francisco
- Feasting on An: A Vietnamese Dining Experience by Chef Tu David Phu
- What’s New at the New Gastropig in Oakland’s Uptown
- Review of Hong Kong-Style Baby Cafe in Oakland
- Soft Serve and Mini Donuts at Sweet Belly in Oakland
- Wading Through the Food Court at San Jose’s Grand Century Shopping Mall