I’m really falling behind on checking out new places around my neighborhood, so I’m going to dedicate the next few posts to what’s new in or around Rockridge in Oakland.
One of the long-awaited newcomers to Rockridge is the popular Smitten Ice Cream, which opened in a former bread shop three months ago across from Zachary’s Pizza. Smitten was opened by former pastry chef Robyn Lenzi, who devised a technique using liquid nitrogen to make instant ice cream to order using fresh and often seasonal ingredients.
Lenzi opened her first location at a makeshift container stand at Hayes Valley, which continues to draw a crowd when the weather’s warm. But her new Rockridge location is probably three times the size, offering a lot of shelter with indoor seating (although there’s still outdoor benches to enjoy your ice cream with the warm weather).
The Rockridge location, which is part of an expansion that includes spots in Los Altos and Lafayette, also has an expanded menu that includes sundaes and soon-to-come floats.
A couple of things to keep in mind about how things work at Smitten:
- You can’t taste flavors to decide because, remember, the ice cream is made to order.
- You can’t have more than one flavor in a cup or cone because since the flavors are made when you order it, it would slow the process down if they had to make two orders for just one person.
Smitten’s Rockridge store has a nice Main Street feel, and I’m looking forward to trying a sundaes this summer.
The deets: Smitten Ice Cream, 5800 College Ave., Oakland. PH: 510.594.7630. Open daily. For hours, visit smittenicecream.com.
Subscribe to My Blog
Snaps on the Go
- Lunar New Year Dim Sum at Hong Kong Lounge II in San Francisco
- Dinner is Served at Dripline Featuring Nasi Padang
- Turning Meyer Lemons into Lemon Pudding Cake
- Drunk on Puppy Love at CUESA’s Winter Cocktails Event ‘Paws & Pours’
- Ramen Chain Ippudo Officially Opens Today in San Francisco
- Wrap of 2018 Winter Fancy Food Show + 4505 Meats Afterparty