A newspaper watering hole from days gone by was typically a spot around the corner of a newspaper where rough-around-the-edges men would drink and smoke, blowing off steam after deadline.
At the new Tribune Tavern, there are no cranky news men and, really, there’s no newspaper. But the spirit of an old time watering hole [...]Read the full post →
Chef James Syhabout of Oakland’s Commis and Hawker Fare plans to open a new restaurant called Box and Bells this spring in the Rockridge neighborhood.
While I wait for his latest venture to open, I thought I’d make a long-overdue return to his first gem, the one-Michelin-star Commis on Piedmont Avenue. The last I [...]Read the full post →
Oakland is in the middle of a restaurant boom, with several major openings in just the last few weeks. But none has been as anticipated as Duende, the restaurant and bar by former Oliveto chef Paul Canales.Read the full post →
The packed front bar nearly every night at the new Ramen Shop shows just how hungry the East Bay is for a good bowl of soup noodles on this side of the bay.
It helps that the owners are among the growing Chez Panisse alumni striking out on their own and apparently the whole world [...]Read the full post →
Chef Daniel Patterson of San Francisco’s Coi wanted to open a restaurant close to his Oakland home, so he signed on to open a restaurant as part of the redevelopment efforts of Jack London Square.
But typical delays prompted Patterson to focus on smaller projects, notably Plum Restaurant and later Plum Bar in Oakland’s Uptown [...]Read the full post →
- Jupiter Olympus’ “Choke” Dinner Celebrates the Artichoke
- Review of Tribune Tavern in Oakland
- Richard Blais’ Squid Linguine “Impasta” Recipe
- Dining at Vik’s Chaat & Market in Berkeley
- San Mateo Crawl Ends at Dessert Republic
- Review of San Mateo’s Ramen Parlor + Izakaya Mai
- A Zuni Cafe Classic: The Roasted Chicken
- Tasting Christopher Kostow’s Restaurant at Meadowood in St. Helena
- Cooking a Filipino Classic: My Chicken Adobo Recipe
- Review of Red Medicine Restaurant in LA
- Going the Distance for XLBs at Din Tai Fung in Arcadia
- Dining at Top Chef Michael Voltaggio’s West Hollywood Restaurant Ink